Sunday, July 15, 2012

Eating options - Breakfast Sandwich

Being at stage 5 kidney failure and on dialysis does limit your food choices.  Right now Hubby has to really limit phosphorus because even with a phosphorus binder, his levels are high.  High phosphorus levels are dangerous and can lead to serious health problems, so it is important to listen to your dietitian and follow their limits.  This is hard, I know.  Hubby loves peanut butter sandwiches, which he now can no longer have.  It is also very important for people on peritoneal dialysis to get enough protein.  Since nuts, seeds, and diary are now no-nos, protein is best found in meats and eggs.

Today I made my husband 20 breakfast sandwiches and they are easy to make and freeze for later.


Using a muffin or cupcake tin (I prefer the muffin tin), spray it with cooking spray, put 1 egg in each spot.  Hubby likes his scrambled, so I scrambled them before putting them in.  Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.


Using the Breakfast Sausage recipe from "Cooking with David", I made 2 "logs" that turned into 20 sausage patties.  I then toasted english muffins and made a sandwich.  Enjoy fresh or freeze for later meals.


No comments:

Post a Comment