Monday, July 30, 2012

Not the news we wanted

Today we got a call from the hospital where Hubby "applied" to be part of the transplant program.   Our current hospital was willing and ready to start the process of getting Hubby on the transplant list (he already met with the transplant doctor), but our insurance wouldn't cover a transplant there so we had to move on to hospital C.  Today hospital C told Hubby that they won't even start the process until he is at the weight he needs to be for transplant.  He has worked hard and lost a lot of weight, Hospital B saw the progress he was making and was pleased enough to start the process.  Sadly Hospital C won't do anything, except allow him to go to the informational class, until he loses the weight.

I'm devastated.  Losing weight is difficult for the average person, but add to that not feeling well, doing dialysis, and trying to work full time.  I know he can do it, but how long will it take?  How many years will he have to continue dialysis without even the hope of a transplant?  I am thankful he has dialysis to keep him alive, but transplant has always been the goal.

I guess it will be a while before I'm able to share the transplant process with you.  I do hope you will take something away from this though.... if you are over weight, lose the weight.  Trust me, I know how hard it is, I'm fat and I hate it.... but we never know when we will need life saving medical care and it is devastating to think that weight can stop our lives from being saved.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry...I know about losing weight. Yes, it's difficult under the best of circumstances. I can only imagine how hard it is for someone with all those obstacles to conquer. Good luck to you both.
    Digicats {at} Sbcglobal {dot} Net

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you. I hate all the politics of hospitals and insurance. You would think that insurance would cover something as serious as a Kidney transplant!!! You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete