Thursday, July 12, 2012

Exit Site Healing

My Hubby has proven to be a slow healer.  We were told it takes about 8 weeks to heal from the surgery to insert the peritoneal catheter, but early on, we were told the actual exit site can heal much quicker.  It's been about 7 weeks since my Hubby's surgery and his exit site is still healing.

One thing that I have recently discovered that seems to be helping the healing involves two simple things.  A 2 by 2 (which is a gauze pad that goes around the catheter to protect the catheter exit site) and sterile water with salt (the water was provided by the hospital and I just added regular table salt).

Simply soak the 2 by 2 in the salt water and place it around the exit site and allow to sit there for 10 minutes or so once a day.  His site looks better and better each time we do this.  Remember I'm not a medical professional, so before doing anything different, please talk to your dialysis nurse or doctor.


*Disclaimer - all the information above is for information purposes only.  I am not a nurse, doctor, or any type of medical professional.  I'm a wife taking one day at a time while taking care of a husband with PKD



No comments:

Post a Comment